Tuesday, July 16, 2013

How to create "faux granite" countertops!

Hello!  This is my first attempt at blogging.  So please bear with me as I go along.  I am addicted to watching HGTV and all those home makeover shows.  I have a home that I am always looking to update and organize.  Due to the sluggish economy, I find myself in the same boat as most other people....pinching our pennies.  Always trying to find a bargain or a cheaper way of doing things.  My home projects began when I noticed the polyurethane finish around my tub was eroded and mold starting to set in and I immediately decided I was going to have to do something about that.  I could not afford to rip out the counter surrounding the tub so I had to find a cheaper alternative, so began the search online for ways to resurface the counter tops.  What I found was extremely interesting.  I found tha
t you can paint the counter tops to make them look like granite!  Wow!  I really liked that idea as I really love the granite look.  I spend about 3 weeks researching and reading all the other bloggers who had actually done this project and they all had different methods.  I put pieces of each one and made my own recipe for "granite countertops."  Yes, they have paint kits to create this, but again, this was in the area of $200.  I wanted something cheaper. So without further ado, I am going to share with you how I transformed my ugly, molded bathtub counter top into a "near" granit resemblance.  Up close, you can see that it is not granite, but it is very pretty to look at and now it is extremely watertight and no worries about any mold.  I will present pictures from start to finish. 

                                                 "Faux Granite Countertops Part 1"
                                                               
 
Above is the kit that I made myself composed of paint tray lined with aluminum foil for easier cleanup, foam roller, sponge brushes, sea sponges, 1-2-3 Zinnser Bulls Eye Primer.
 

 
Here is the different colors of craft paint that I used to create the different colors of "granite." Purchased at Michael's for $1

 
After cleaning the countertops with mild soap and water and drying, prime the countertops with the foam roller.  The 1-2-3 Zinnser Bulls Eye primer does not require any sanding.  Don't forget to tape around everything with painter's tape. 
 
 
After primer dries, take one color of the craft paint and squirt it on a paper plate and use your sea sponge to dab it around the tub on the counter tops.  Just go all over in a random pattern.  Be aware that it will look ugly before it looks better, so don't panic!  Just keep going. 

 
Add your second color of craft paint with the sea sponge.  It doesn't take long at all for the craft paint to dry.  You can even go over the other colors if it is a little wet. 

 
Again, another color of craft paint (grey).

 
Again, another color of craft paint (brown).

 
Again, another color of craft paint (black).

 
I forgot to upload a picture of the clear coat resin that I used to top the countertops.  It is called Envirotex Lite Resin found at Hobby Lobby and Michael's.  I get it for $19 using my 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby.  I was nervous at first using it, but I got used to it quickly.  Just follow the instructions and you can't go wrong.  It delivers a high-gloss hard waterproof, heat resistant countertop.  Sure, you can use polyurethane and all those other clear coats out there, but you have to decide what you want to do......10 coats of poly or one coat of envirotex lite resin?  For me, it was no contest......One coat! 
Note:  Once the resin is on, remove the painter's tape right away.  If you leave it on, the resin will seal it and you will not be able to take if off when it dries.  It starts to harden after 25 minutes, but dries to touch in 4 hours and need to let it cure for 3 days. 

Before and after.....Huge transformation!!  My family loves it and thinks it looks really cool.  Best of all, I love knowing it is free from mold and looks really pretty.  I actually enjoyed this DIY home project and I encourage you to go for it if this is what you are looking for.  I did this all in one day.  If you are wanting to change your countertops and on a limited budget, this might be just what you are looking for.  Good luck!  I will post about my vanity countertops very soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment